An afternoon at the gallery.
Colorists today are just horrible and I’m speaking as someone who worked as a colorist (although how good of one I was is subject to debate). I think sometimes that some of the colorists out there are really frustrated pencillers taking out their frustrations over the work of the pencillers of the books they’re working on.
There are a couple of people who ‘get it’ but they are far and few between.
All too often instead what you find is someone who thinks coloring means showing off all the great tricks they’ve learned in Photoshop and putting far, far too much detail into a panel the measures 1" X 3". Photoshop may well be the single worst thing to happen to comics over the last three decades (one of the other things being Frank Miller’s run on Daredevil).
But more on those another day.
Check out my Comic Art Fans Galleries! © All scans copyright PJ Mungiole 2011 - may not be reproduced, reused, reposted without permission.
Again, more Impulse work, more Ethan Van Sciver work. The thing that I find so very impressive about Van Sciver’s work is the amazing amount of detail that goes into his pages. The unfortunate thing about his work is how the wrong colorist can truly screw the pooch working on his stuff by doing things EVS has already done in ink.Impulse_i54_p12_EVS-Rollins-McCarthy
Bart Allen (Impulse) and his friends spend a night in the woods camping. Some amazing detail seen here in some of Ethan Van Sciver’s earliest work for DC.
Colorists today are just horrible and I’m speaking as someone who worked as a colorist (although how good of one I was is subject to debate). I think sometimes that some of the colorists out there are really frustrated pencillers taking out their frustrations over the work of the pencillers of the books they’re working on.
There are a couple of people who ‘get it’ but they are far and few between.
All too often instead what you find is someone who thinks coloring means showing off all the great tricks they’ve learned in Photoshop and putting far, far too much detail into a panel the measures 1" X 3". Photoshop may well be the single worst thing to happen to comics over the last three decades (one of the other things being Frank Miller’s run on Daredevil).
But more on those another day.
Check out my Comic Art Fans Galleries! © All scans copyright PJ Mungiole 2011 - may not be reproduced, reused, reposted without permission.
No comments:
Post a Comment